Job Title: Purchasing Agent
Reference Number: B-051-SCM-Aug18-T
Location: Mississauga (Ontario)
The Purchasing Agent is involved in the project from the initiation phase until the issue of the Purchase Order. The Purchasing Agent is the custodian of all pre-award activities related to the purchase of project materials/equipment (including engineered, standard [commercial off-the-shelf] and bulk items).
Duties include clarifying/negotiating the commercial terms and conditions, proper Incoterms, payment terms/milestones relating to purchase orders as well as preparing and issuing the purchase order for execution.
In summary, the Purchasing Agent is responsible for managing the bidders’ selection, bidding process, evaluation and recommendation, as well as the award process, thereby maximizing efficiencies and minimizing risk related to financial and schedule performance.
* Please note this position is not eligible for a relocation subsidy or living out allowance.
- Liaison with Package Coordinator to obtain and verify technical specifications, with the Planner to verify lead times and delivery dates and with Logistics to assure cost effective and practical Incoterms
- Preparation of Commercial Bid documents (including contractual terms and conditions, delivery requirements, quality/inspection requirements and other documents related to the scope of supply, etc.), and issuing of Bid Documents to Bidders from an approved Bidder’s List
- Manage the bidding process by:
- Managing the prequalification and selection of bidders
- Prepare and issue Bidders List and coordinate approval process
- Supervise and maintain the confidentiality and integrity of the bid process. Log bid questions and responses and issue addenda as required. Purchasing Agent must be the ONLY point of contact during the bid process from RFQ until award. All queries must go through procurement
- Coordinate technical evaluations and conduct commercial evaluations, use of proper Incoterms, payment terms/milestones including clarifications and/or negotiations
- Review vendor comments of General terms and conditions and incorporate Special terms and conditions, as required
- Responsible to meet schedule milestones for Bid-Evaluate-Award cycles
- Prepare and issue Recommendation to Award including its approval.
- If required, prepare and issue a Letter of Award to Vendor
- Prepare and issue Purchase Order for execution
- Handover to Expeditor for standard and bulk packages and/or Purchasing Administrator for major packages.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Global Procurement Chain experience, specifically the acquisition of capital equipment/ materials
- Experience with drafting of terms and conditions and an understanding of accompanying legal implications, solid understanding on Contract Law
- Negotiation skills
- A firm understanding of procurement processes and corporate governance principles
- Experience with and a proficient understanding of purchasing strategies and Total Cost of Ownership, including but not limited to the development of escalation clauses and cost plus pricing
- Knowledge of Incoterms, freight forwarding and other activities related to local and global purchasing and movement of equipment/materials across borders
- Good understanding of applicable legislation including taxes and industry specific exemption
- Sound commercial knowledge with respect to performance and risk mitigation mechanisms and exhaustive detailed commercial evaluation skills
- Relevant tertiary qualification is an asset
- International experience an asset
- A firm grasp on current (and possibly historic) intelligence related to local and global markets for commodities and relevant equipment/materials
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume and cover letter, in MS Word format, to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning reference code B-051-SCM-Aug18-T in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for further review will be contacted. All other resumes will be retained for future consideration.
Please submit your resume and/or cover letter in Word format only.