Job Title: Cost Controller
Reference Number: B-032-PC-Nov18-T
Location: Mississauga (Ontario)
The Cost Controller develops and maintains project cost information, maintains planned and actual cost and commitment schedules; and, in conjunction with the Lead Cost Controller and Project Controls Manager, oversees variations and revisions to existing budgets, as well as changes to scope and contract variation quotations. The Cost Controller monitors, controls and reports on cost history and forecast.
The successful candidate must be willing and able to transfer to site on a rotation basis in the future.
* Please note this position is not eligible for a relocation subsidy or living out allowance.
- A strong personal commitment to safety
- Personal responsibility for safety incident reporting
- Behavioral-based safety ethos to be embraced
- Personal responsibility for stopping any unsafe behavior as and when it occurs, and thereafter reporting the safety incident so that corrective action may be obtained
- Familiarization with the project safety processes, protocols and procedures.
Project schedule monitoring and updates:
- Using project schedule and progress reports: obtain progress info and generate data and curves for each cost profile.
- Record and maintain commitments based on procurement contracts, contract amendments, contract change notices, PO revisions and recommendations to award/amend
- Attend periodic reviews and establish and maintain forecasts for all packages and ensure full coding, based on EPCM status report, expenditures (ex Project Accountant) and project changes/trends (ex Trend Coordinator)
- Forecast project contingency requirements, escalation, forex, currencies etc.
- Finalize coding with Lead Cost Controller of all detailed line items, based on procurement package register, approved capital cost estimate and project coding
- Separate all detailed line items into procurement packages, contract packages etc.
- Import detailed data into cost system and run complete detailed baseline cost report by package
- Update and maintain budget with approved scope trends
- Assign budget for procurement packages and perform budget reconciliation
- Produce and review with Lead Cost Controller cost report and analyze variances
- Generate data and curves for each cost profile (baselines and periodic updates)
- Attend detailed direct cost review for committed scope
- Update budget, commitment, forecast, payment and cost statement for monthly report.
- Establish with the assistance of the Lead Cost Controller asset management methodology, based on client asset management philosophy (asset register)
- Produce asset capitalization report (as required)
Project change management (trending program):
- Once a trend is approved, attend periodic reviews, establish and maintain forecasts for all packages, and finalize coding of all detailed line items.
EPCM services progress and performance measurement:
- Obtain progress info from EPCM Controller and update EPCM status report
- Attend periodic reviews and establish and maintain forecasts for all packages.
Construction progress and performance measurement:
- Obtain progress info from construction schedule (per Planner).
Procurement progress measurement:
- Using project schedule (Planner); expediting status report (Expeditor); unprocessed invoices list (project accountant); vendor progress report (purchasing agent) and cost report, calculate progress for all purchase orders. Consolidate purchasing progress into single report. Establish overall progress for equipment manufacturing and materials supply. Issue progress reports and calculate progress for all purchase orders.
Project progress measurement and earned value:
- Establish overall progress for equipment manufacturing and materials supply
- Obtain progress info via progress reports, EPCM status report, vendor progress report and cost report and: calculate progress for client’s work, all indirect packages and all POs
- Consolidate all progress measurement into single report.
- Calculate earned value.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum of a three year tertiary qualification, relevant degree or diploma in engineering or project management and a minimum of 3-5 years experience as a Cost Controller/Cost Technician in a multidiscipline project environment
- Sound technical knowledge in a multi-discipline environment
- Good knowledge of budgeting, forecasting final costs, cash flows and estimating
- Overview of procurement, contracts, quantity surveying, planning, scheduling and engineering processes and procedures
- Working knowledge of Estimating and tendering processes
- Good knowledge of project management principles
- Computer literacy (MS Office package)
- Technical knowledge of building, civil, mechanical and basic knowledge in electrical and Control disciplines.
- Interpersonal and good communication skills
- Time management
- Able to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Planning and organizing
- Budgeting skills
- Verbal and written communications
- Presentation skills.
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this position, please send your resume and cover letter, in MS Word format, to email@example.com mentioning reference code B-032-PC-Nov18-T in the subject line.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for further review will be contacted. All other resumes will be retained for future consideration.
Please submit your resume and/or cover letter in Word format only.