Job Title: Intermediate/Senior Electrical Designer
Reference Number: B-027-ELE-Jun13-E
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
The Intermediate/Senior Electrical Designer plans and conducts independent work requiring judgment in the selection, application and adaptation of design criteria.
They devise new approaches to solving problems and may be assigned as a Lead Designer on a project. Minimum eight years of experience required.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Plans, coordinates or prepares equipment or work specifications, bid evaluations and award recommendations for equipment
- Coordinates engineering efforts in assigned areas between specialty and other engineering groups or disciplines, with the client, suppliers, contractors and between other groups.
- When delegated, assumes a lead technical role over other designers or project subgroups for completing specific tasks.
- Assists in on-the-job-training of assigned personnel and provides input for their performance evaluations.
- Prepares or assists in preparation of conceptual studies, designs, reports or proposals.
- Performs or assists in the performance of problem analysis and original design.
- Prepares and/or assists in the preparation of cost estimates, quantity take-offs and staffing requirements for proposals, forecasts and change orders.
- Knowledgeable of and performs standard discipline engineering activities on projects of medium size with minimal technical oversight.
- Coordinate technical issues with other departments on projects including constructability requirements and reviews.
- Designs medium/low voltage distribution system.
- Designs electric heat tracing.
- Performs technical bid evaluation/recommendation and vendor document review.
- Prepares engineering deliverables such as hazardous area classification drawings; single/three line diagrams, control schematics, grounding and lighting drawings, cable schedules, panel schedules and electrical equipment data sheets; and equipment sizing, cable sizing, voltage drop, motor starting and lighting calculations, load flow, fault calculations, and relay coordination.
- Supports the creation of a work environment that fosters openness, trust, communication, teamwork, empowerment, innovation and satisfaction.
- Provides technical direction, assign/review work of designers and drafters.
- Understands the standard engineering work planning, scheduling and cost estimating, and conducts independent work requiring judgment in the application of engineering techniques.
- Normally uses conventional approaches to technical problems encountered.
- Recognized degree or diploma in an engineering or scientific discipline from an accredited college or university, or a professional license in an appropriate engineering discipline from a recognized licensing board; or,
- Sufficient number of specialized courses in relevant general engineering or appropriate engineering disciplines to meet job requirements; and,
- Practical work experience in design engineering or relevant equivalent experience in allied types of engineering sufficient to demonstrate competence as a trained engineer.
Skills / Job Knowledge / Experience:
- Minimum eight (8) years in electrical engineering for oil & gas, refinery, petrochemical, heavy industrial or power projects in an EPC environment.
- Previous supervisory experience.
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written).
- Knowledge of industry/regulatory codes and standards.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills.
We thank all applicants for submitting their resumes; however, only applicants who are being considered will be contacted.
Please submit your resume and/or cover letter in Word format only.