Job Title: Cost Specialist
Reference Number: B-32-PC-Sep13-E
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Performs cost control, cost data analysis, and estimating activities. Demonstrated skill in identifying, analyzing, and providing innovative solutions to cost control problems. Supervises project cost control activities when delegated.
Duries & Responsibilies:
- Supports or takes a lead role in developing and implementing requirements for cost recording, reporting, and analyzing standards. Performs performance monitoring and control functions for specific applications per applicable procedures.
- Maintains cost budgets and accurate cost forecasts utilizing a change management system and monitoring project status. Performs cost data and cash flow analysis.
- Supports or develops specific project code of accounts and recommends appropriate modifications and revisions. This includes training in the proper use and definitions for the cost accounts.
- Maintains or coordinates the cost change management system (trending).
- Prepares cost data for proposals and contract negotiations.
- Develops quantity takeoffs for a discipline or specialty. Verifies quantities provided by others.
- Coordinates/prepares information input into specific cost studies. Evaluates study results and recommends conclusions for project team consideration and discussion.
- Identifies or defines data sources and techniques for data acquisition, and collects required data for a specific discipline or other specialty applications.
- Creates and implements measurement systems for given processes, analyzes performance metric results, and recommend improvements.
- Maintains field quantity unit rate reports and monitors performance factors.
- Monitors progress of field contractors.
- Performs, or coordinates the performance of, pricing structure development and application to takeoffs, derived quantities, quantity assumption, and cost allowances within a discipline or other specialty.
- Prepares or reviews distributable and/or contractors’ indirect cost estimates, developing basis for temporary facilities, miscellaneous construction services, construction tools and equipment, non-manual manpower, startup services, payroll taxes and insurance, camp facilities and operation, and other field office costs.
- Assists the estimating team to determine scope definition requirements for a discipline or other specialty, and works with Engineering and other sources to coordinate the production of required data to conform to the overall estimate preparation plan.
- Prepares cost reconciliations during preparation of estimates and performs data analysis, identifies problems, and makes recommendations.
- Takes a lead role re-casting project estimates into manageable cost control budgets per project requirements.
- Contributes to Project Progress Reports as delegated.
- Maintains the project jobhour control system.
- Prepares project financial reporting per Bantrel and/or client requirements.
- Gathers historical project data for close-out reporting.
- Provides input for personnel performance review when delegated.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- An engineering degree, technical school diploma or equivalent work experience and participate in continuing self development in relevant areas relating to Project Controls and Project Controls Management.
- Six to seven years experience in a Project Controls (engineering background is preferred)
- Self motivated with willingness to take on increasing responsibility.
We thank all applicants for submitting their resumes; however, only applicants who are being considered will be contacted.
Please submit your resume and/or cover letter in Word format only.